Friday, March 2, 2012

New Season - Pastor Kristin

We are about to enter into a new season, Spring. We all anticipate the next season with enthusiasm. We are tired of our sweaters and jackets we are ready for kites and trips to the park, but just as each season in necessary for growth so is each season of our souls. There will be times of transition like fall, times of overwhelming heat and activity like summer and times of quiet cold that might force us into solitude like winter, but each season gives way to the next and the circumstances change like the weather as we enter into spring. When I see the dormant plants and trees begin to bloom and hear the return of the bird’s song, something happens in my spirit. I am challenged to walk in the new growth that I see all around me.  And I hear God’s word in my heart…

John 15:5 "Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing."

As I studied this passage I was taken back by two of the definitions. (These are from the King James Version so that I could look them up in the Strong’s Concordance.) 

Abide: To remain as one, not to become another or different. 

There are many definitions to this word and yes it is to wait and rest, but when I read this one I had to stop and evaluate. While I am waiting am I remaining who God made or looking around at another’s growth and trying to follow the pattern. I only have been instructed to abide. Do I trust the Vine to bring all I need?

Forth: Of a gust of wind, to rush.    

Forth also had many definitions but this one excited me because we usually view abiding and waiting as such a calm experience but just like spring has rushes of winds and sudden changes I believe abiding does too. Wait but be ready for the wind of the Spirit to gust or rush over you.


Spring
Creation unfolds with beauty so serene
Everything is living, growing and green
It is hard not to feel Your Spirit hovering over the day
Not to see your Joy as children come out to play
Spring is revival of all you have made
Creation’s rebirth on display
Your desire is to renew
So in Spring I see You
Winter’s death has its purpose but spring’s life has come
And to resurrection death must succumb
Spring is here
God is near
Gone is winter’s death

As we take in spring’s breathe

No comments:

Post a Comment